Monday, October 09, 2006

Boxes

"From the inlaid jade and coral jewelry boxes of the Orient to the utilitarian salt boxes of the Pennsylvanian Dutch, the allure of the box has transcended all cultural and geographical boundaries of the world. The cigar box, the snuff box, the cash box, jewelry boxes more ornate that the treasure they hold, the ice box, and the candle box. Trunks, long and rectangular boxes covered with cowhide, stretched taut, and pounded with brass studs to a wooden frame. Oak boxes, sterling boxes; to the delight of the women, hat boxes and shoe boxes; and to the delight of all enslaved by a sweet tooth, candy boxes. The human life cycle no less than evolves around the box; from the open topped box called a bassinet, to the pine box we call a coffin, the box is our past and just as assuredly, our future. It should not surprise us then that the lowly box plays such a significant role in the first Christmas story. For Christmas began in a humble, hay-filled box of splintered wood. The Magi, wise men who had traveled far to see the infant King, laid treasure-filled boxes at the feet of the Holy Child. And in the end, when He had ransomed our sins with His blood, the Lord of Christmas was laid down in a box of stone. How fitting that each Christmas season brightly wrapped boxes skirt the pine boroughs of Christmas trees around the world. And more fitting that I learned of Christmas through a Christmas box." - Richard Paul Evans "The Christmas Box"

so keeping with the theme here is my life in a box or special boxes to me. as i look back i see boxes in all parts of my life and i'm sure there are even some that i don't remember or don't see.

as a little girl the boxes that my baby dolls came in (cabbage patch kids to be exact)
the old cardboard cigar box that i kept my treasures in
boxes of school supplies that remind me of when my sister and i would play school
the shoe boxes that i would keep letters in
not to mention the number of shoe boxes in my closet filled with shoes (i love shoes)
the wooden oak box that i got as a senior in high school that held special memories from high school

the cardboard boxes that now hold my high school memories
my jewelry boxes
packing up all the things in boxes to go away for college
the boom box (radio) that was in my dorm room my freshman year that put my roommate and i to sleep with sweet jars of clay music many nights that first year

the cedar box (chest) my dad made me that held special things through college
the box my engagement ring came in
packing up my college things in cardboard boxes when i got married
the large photo box, from my mother in law, that holds my wedding memories
packing more cardboard boxes to more across the country
the box that holds my beautiful nativity set from my parents
the photo boxes that hold many memories from Washington state
the box that holds most of my letters from my best friend

packing yet more cardboard boxes to move back across the country and that is where my life in a box remains for now. until we find a box most people call a house and move in and un-pack.

what are the special boxes in your life?

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:07 PM

    What box are the letters in? Your mom has the box I got you from Costa Rica that is just like mine.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah she has it but it's still mine and she knows it. :) really it is but the box that the letters are in is a photo box and i have many more. the ones in that box are just the ones from washington, i think. miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey t- i forgot to ask when are you going to get a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:08 PM

    NEVER! I'm too lazy and don't have a darn thing to say. I'd rather just read others. I owe you a letter and haven't forgotten. Miss you too!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. come on! do it. do it. everyone is. it would be fun and i'm sure you could find something to say. you are never without words. :) hehe. yeah! where is my letter? waiting..... love ya. i like when you post comments on my blog t.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:28 PM

    i agree j- she really needs to get a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes.......someone else on my side. what can we do to make her see the coolness of it? has she read ours? is coolness a word?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you guys ... T does need a blog! :) Then, maybe us old married ladies could vicariously experience the joys of pre-marriage love again ... huh, hows that andy and squeaky ... I'm laying it on pretty thick, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:59 PM

    yes t- needs to express all her feelings and emotions and experience the release of uncorking the bottle and just letting it all out...

    ReplyDelete
  10. right on. let it all out girl. experience the freedom of blogging not just reading ours. although we do enjoy the visits to our blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:00 PM

    Ok you guys are seriously funny. And believe me, it would NOT be a good idea for me to remind you of the joys of premarriage love...I would probably winding up running my mouth and saying things I shouldn't where that's concerned. Nice try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:03 PM

    nope that is a sad excuse...sit yourself down, stretch your fingers and start typing...we will all be waiting for your insight...

    ReplyDelete
  13. e's- right. get to typing. besides you can write what you want and then proof it before you actually post it. it's fun. please oh please oh please. do it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete