Monday, July 23, 2007

I'm Here

i'm not to sure how detailed i need to get about the whole hospital ordeal because so much has happened this post could be miles long if i did so i will try to keep it brief.

i was put in the hospital for my high blood pressure and potential preeclampsia on thursday july 12th. after blood and urine analysis they came the the conclusion that they needed a little more tests but that i would be spending then night in the hospital that night for sure. we started to collect my urine for a 24 hour urine analysis. after that on late friday night they came in and started my iv on magnesium sulfate which burned the heck out of my arm and body. i was hot for the next 3 days after that. they also started me on my steroid shot and i got to of those with 24 hours in between them. this all meaning that they were going to deliver the baby on sunday night around 8:30ish. the doc came in and let me know that he was going to have to do a c-section because he thought that there would be to much stress on the baby to try to deliver. i was fine with that because obviously i wanted what was best for the baby.

i had a ton of visitors during the whole time but was so out of it that i didn't get to really communicate with any of them. i knew that they were all there though because i recalled conversations that they had when they were all visiting. it was a little twilight zone-ish. very strange.

so on sunday the anystesiagiolgist (sp?) came in and after not being happy with the way my arm that had the iv in it was swelling he asked the nurse to change it to the other arm and then let me know what there was a chance that he wouldn't do a spinal and he would put me to sleep. this was not completely alright with me but i said okay for the good of the baby. it was very scary for my hubby though. luckily he came back in 5 min later and said that my labs were good and that they could do the spinal. once i was ready they got me to surgery and got started. it wasn't as terrible as i expected and hearing his cry for the first time was wonderful. it made me start crying and then a few minutes later they brought him over all bundled up where i could just see his beautiful face and let me look at him really quick before they whisked him away to get him hooked up to all the monitors and machines. he was so beautiful and just opened his eyes and looked right in my face as i talked to him. it was wonderful.

i didn't get to see him until tuesday and i was still a little out of it even for that trip.
i got discharged on thursday afternoon and i've been resting a lot but getting to the hospital twice a day every day. i would go more but it's really exhausting and the nurses (even the ones in the NICU) encourage mothers to get plenty of rest. my healing is going well though.

baby boy is doing great though. he's up to 12cc's of milk every 3 hours and we figured that was about 1/2 an ounce. i've changed his diaper a couple of times and fed him (he's on a feeding tube) and today for the first time i actually got to hold him. it was so amazing. he was so light but just fit right in my arm perfectly and was so still and quiet as i fed him. he opened his eyes occasionally and looked right at me. i was so shocked that i was able to hold him and thrilled at the same time. i'm not sure how often i will get to hold him but i will take what i can get and enjoy every minute of it.

please continue to pray for him as he still has a long way to go. when the weighted him last night he was 2 lbs 9.2 oz and he was to get to at least 4 lbs before he can go home and has to maintain a body temp. we know that he has a while to go and as much as we want him in our arms we know that the NICU is the best place for him right now. the nurses and doctors are great and we are so grateful for all the wonderful care that they provide for these babies.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 AM

    I'm so glad that you're doing better. I want you to know that I haven't stopped praying for you and Sawyer since I found out your were pregnant, I certainly won't stop now. You keep taking care of yourself, please let us know if you need anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story. Hearing from the mother's perspective is the best. We are praying for you continuously.

    I echo Wendy's comment: please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mama, I'm so excited for you! I started praying the sec I heard you might have little Sawyer early. My cousin went through the exact same thing at 32 weeks (baby was 1lb 13oz) and almost 3 years later the little girl is doing great! He looks so adorable and I'm glad you are able to see him twice a day. I know it must be soooo hard being away from him so I'll praying he comes home asap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:49 PM

    praying for you, girl. i can't wait to see more pics of him. keep your chin up and get lots of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodnesss...I don't stop by for several days and LOOKS what happens!!!
    I am SO beyond thrilled for you guys. I know your little one is just adorable!!! I will be praying that he continues to gain weight and is healthy!
    And so glad that you also are doing well. I know it was a scary time for all of you!
    Take care of yourself and give that little one a hug for me!! (What is his name? if you don't mind me asking. I LOVE hearing new babies' names.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I saw Sawyer mentioned in an earlier comment. If that's it, i LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wendy thanks so much for your prayers. you are such a wonderful friend. i miss you so very much.

    amberj it was so good to talk with you the other day. thanks for calling to check on me and sawyer.

    renee it is hard being away from him and i can't wait till we can bring him home but i know that he is getting best care that he can right now and i am super greatful for it. this hospital is wonderful and the nurses are great. there hasn't been one yet that i've been too unhappy with.

    erin thanks for the prayers. i'm getting lots of rest and it's great. but i miss my boy. i can't wait to bring him home. hope you like the pics that i just posted. i'll try to get more later. les and my mom have been taking tons so i need to get a cd of all their pics so i can print them.

    cheryl thanks so much, i'm glad that you've gotten to my page and got to see some of his pics. i'll continue to try to post more to show off my cutie pie. thanks for the prayers.

    ReplyDelete