Friday, September 14, 2018

Walking out of the fog

 it's been two weeks since my sister's biopsy results came back and that the diagnosis was a double mastectomy. i believe i walked through a haze for a few days. my hubby was the only one i told.
she texted me wondering how to string words together in a post on Facebook to let others know. she was having multiple people ask the biopsy results.
her words are beautiful and painful and raw. here is what she said about the beginning part of her journey:
Mammogram, Biopsy, Carcinoma, Mastectomy
These are words I never thought I would hear spoken to me from a doctor- especially not at age 35. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind full of appointments, tests, hospital gowns, needles, ice packs, questions, prayers and lots of tears.
This is a brief run down of what’s going on-
August 17: Went for my annual checkup & found a lump in my left breast. A mammogram & ultrasound were scheduled.
August 22: Several nodules were then found.
August 27: Went for a consult with a surgeon. She did another ultrasound to confirm the spots and scheduled a biopsy.
August 29: Biopsy was done
September 4: Got a call with results. She said the preliminary diagnosis is mammary carcinoma, mixed ductal & lobular carcinoma. It’s intermediate & wanted me to have an MRI done that day. I went that afternoon for the MRI which scanned from neck to belly to see if there were any other questionable areas.
September 5: Met with surgeon & was told that estrogen and progesterone receptors were positive. It is currently ductal & the MRI did show a cyst in right breast also. We are still waiting for the rest of biopsy results to come back for HER2 results. We are praying it will be negative!
So after hearing all of this- what now? We discussed several treatment different options but surgery is a must. The plan is for a double mastectomy. Hearing those words makes me cringe but it has to be done. I meet with oncology and plastic surgery next week and will update when I can.
I hope this answers many questions.
Thank you for all for the love, support, texts, calls and prayers. #prayersforHER2- #maybepinkismycolor #fightlikeagirl #lesleys_breasties

Her strength shines through her words. I have always been blessed to call her my sister. I ache for what she feels. I told my best friend that i felt like it was all a bad dream and it wasn't even mine. I have cried more tears then makeup can cover, which means that she has cried even more. I will stand beside her in any way I can and ask that you stand with us in prayer during this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment