Monday, January 02, 2017

Our 2016 flood

First let me say that this is going to be a picture heavy post. I mean lets be honest, it will probably be word heavy too but I will try and keep it short and simple.

after being out of the house for about 2 hours on Friday, the kids and I came home to the kitchen and part of Little Girls room being flooded.

I handed Golden Boy the key to the house while I grabbed some things out of the van. The kids were the first to see the water. I was in the laundry room and heard Golden Boy say, why is there water all over the floor. I dropped the stuff in my arms and looked and no lie, there was water everywhere. I saw that it was pouring out of the cabinet where the sink was.
 I took off my shoes and socks, handed the phone to Golden boy and told him to call daddy.
I ran to the sink intended to turn off the water but there was so much water I just couldn't see the knob. I then ran to the road and just turned off the water to the house. we started pulling out every towel we could find to stop the water from going anywhere else.
there was one air vent in the kitchen that I hear the water pouring down.
my hubby called his dad and he came over to help dry everything up. once we got the water off the floors we called the plumber and our insurance company.

this is the water bottle that broke under the sink that started this whole mess

it didn't just come loose it completely snapped all the way around



Little girls room had to be cleared out because they were going to have to rip up the floor. there was something called cupping happening to the wood. we are pretty sad about her floor being ripped up. pictures of where they started the process below

we piled most of her stuff in our living room. it is a cluttered, chaotic mess right now. we are working on finding some normal in it all 

here is a view from Little girls room into the kitchen where they started to tear up the laminate in the kitchen

when we bought the house the white linoleum was just in this part of the kitchen and the brick paver type linoleum was on the other side of the kitchen. I guess at one point the brick paver looking linoleum went all the way through the whole kitchen.

our three floors



here is looking into Little girls room from the kitchen as they start the process of tearing up her floor.
it was loud and heart breaking. I know it is just floor but it was placed in the 1960s and it is beautiful

it was so wet underneath that it seeped through the floors into the crawl space and had already started to leave some mold

the coolest find. on the bottom of the wood slats in her room was stamped that it was made in the USA in Alabama



this section an a small section in the corner is where they started to tear up the floor

and just when I thought the house couldn't get any louder......

they brought in even more fans.




this is the threshold from the hallway to Little girls room. right now it still looks like this but I know that once this process is over that it will probably never look the same again.

among the craziness and loudness of the house Golden boy found some quiet in the building of his Legos. He made a carwash for this Lego cars, complete with vacuum station

and since what was once our coffee station, is now outside and the one plug that I have on our backsplash/kitchen counter area, is being taken up with fan plugs, we relocated the coffee station to the living room, on top of the toy box. because truthfully, when you go through a flood, coffee is a must.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! How awful! I'm so sorry that happened, and I know you're sad to say goodbye to those 1960s wooden floors. :( Good luck with everything. At least you have a positive attitude about it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girl. it has been a interesting few days. hopefully we will get more answers today or tomorrow

      Delete